StudentAid BC Overview, Updates and Direction for 2019-2020
Kelly McConnan (Executive Director, StudentAid BC) and the StudentAid BC leadership team, will provide an overview of StudentAid BC, updates on key initiatives underway, highlight service delivery stats and financial figures from the past program year, and share what to expect for student aid in 2019-20.
Presented by Dominic Demers and Agata Frankowicz
- Impact of previous budget initiatives: Overview of increased uptake as a result of previous budget initiatives
- Federal Budget 2019: Update on the initiatives recently announced
- Transformation Update:
• Update on the electronic registration/authentication process and electronic Master Student Financial Assistance Agreement (eMSFAA) that was implemented for full-time students in April 2018
• Approach to transformation (plan is to implement enhancements over multiple phases over the next 2-3 years)
• Upcoming Spring 2019 release, including electronic registration/authentication and eMSFAA for part-time students and the migration of existing borrowers to the electronic authentication process (using GCKey/SecureKey)
CPA Presentation on Financial Literacy
Edward Goodfellow, B.Comm., CIM, FCSI, (CA) CPA, CFA has been involved in finance and accounting for more than 25 years, with 14 years of experience teaching. Goodfellow began his professional career with the international accounting firm of KPMG, working in both Victoria BC and Curacao, NA. In 1996, he returned to Canada to work with RBC Dominion Securities. He has been a portfolio manager with Phillips Hager North and CIBC Wood Gundy, and has been with PI Financial Corp since 2008. He has taught finance and accounting at Camosun College and for the Certified Management Accountants of BC (CMA). Goodfellow has also been an associate faculty member at Royal Roads in since 2007.
Edward will present on CPA Canada’s in-school financial literacy program that focuses on teaching students the basic concepts and skills needed to make smart financial decisions. The workshop for Post-Secondary students is meant to educate students on how credit works, what debt can do to future plans, and how to take practical steps to take control of their finances. This session will hopefully lead to partnerships between PSI and their local CPAs willing to conduct these types of workshops for our students.
StudentAid BC Modernization: Digital Services Innovation Branch
Presented by Jennifer Wray (Executive Director), Laura Hutchinson (Director, Digital Delivery and Integration), and Ben Ferrel (Director, Policy and Stakeholder Engagement, Digital Services Innovation Branch, Ministry of Advanced Education, Skills and Training).
The Modernizing StudentAid BC Initiative is a multi-year transformation project that will result in a more streamlined, flexible and efficient student financial assistance system for students and post-secondary institutions. Join Jennifer Wray (Executive Director, Digital Service Innovation Branch) and the Digital Service Innovation Branch leadership team, for an overview of the Modernization project including how the project team is using agile and service design principles to improve digital services for students and our stakeholders.